One of my goals this year is to focus on sustainable living. There are so many easy ways to help the environment.
Recently, I started thinking about sustainable travel. I started researching the topic and came across a question from Two Wandering Souls that really stuck with me: “When I travel to ____, what can I do to bring positive change?”
To me, this statement is so powerful. Oftentimes we book vacations so that we have the best experience possible for ourselves. Sometimes that means visiting a high class resort, sometimes that means camping in a tent. There are many ways to make a vacation more sustainable, and I think this thought often gets lost while creating travel plans.
Here are some ideas on how to travel more sustainably and/or bring positive change while traveling:
- Look for eco-friendly hotels.
- Learn about history and culture and connect with locals.
- Take public transportation.
- Support small, family-run businesses.
- Be more aware of what is going on in the world.
- Companies are realizing that tourists are becoming more aware of animal welfare issues and some organizations will unfortunately call themselves a “sanctuary” while still maintaining bad practices.
- Share your experiences with others (good or bad).
- If you came across an “animal sanctuary” that is treating animals poorly, let people know so they can avoid going there.
- If you went to an eco-hotel that you loved, let people know. Who knows, it could help someone plan their next trip and make it more eco-friendly even if they weren’t trying to.
Of course, right now, there isn’t a lot of traveling going on, but it is something to think about for the future. Even if you go on a camping trip, think about how you can be more sustainable. Think about waste when planning meals and snacks. Try to avoid plastic products. Are you going on a hike? Think about cleaning up a trail while doing so. These are easy actions that can make a big difference.
I hope this gives you some ideas on how you can make your next trip more sustainable. I also hope we will all be able to travel more soon!
What are some sustainable things you do while traveling? Let me know in the comments below!